Joe Biggs Project - Archive The Internet Offline

That is what Joe Biggs talked about on the most banned news in the world, the most banned news show in the world - Alex Jones Show - 6/14/2019 - This is around 1 hour and 40 minutes in. We should encourage each other to build offline directories, references, files, documents, articles, databases, videos, pictures, memes, websites, web pages, audio files, GIFs, etc, etc. Encourage people to do time-capsules as well.

7 Likes
The Bury Your Computer Challenge
Prayers for Infocommers, dont.be afraid to ask for prayer

SSGBigg.com

Joe%20Biggs%20Screenshot%20at%202019-06-15%2000%3A48%3A04

6 Likes

We should do this.

Just make sure you got enough memory in terabytes

4 Likes

So far, I only have about 5 TB. People can buy 4TB drives for like $120 like I did. That could be a starting point for people.

2 Likes

Might also be a good idea to do the same thing but not digitally.
Good place to start? Everything they used to teach in boy scouts.

2 Likes

I copied some of my home videos to DVD. Please tell me that DVD can survive through EMP Attacks, etc.

1 Like

Sure, but if society devolves into a dark age, and no power grid… or working equipment… does it matter?

2 Likes

@TheIsz, you can’t recreate power? It does matter. They had power thouands of years ago and then didn’t. If anything survived from then, I would watch them. Likewise, if things stopped for a while now, it won’t be forever. Things will recover again, I promise.

2 Likes

Lol, how long is the life expectancy of a CD?
Open your vision, what if there’s no one left who can recreate CD technology?
The vast majority can’t even follow a recipe with the directions.
Tesla invented free energy, do you have it now?

2 Likes

CD is forever. They may have an expiration date for when data begins to deteriorate. That may be 100 years. But that is better than nothing. After that, it may begin to fall apart, slowly. But every second counts and you never know. So, maybe not forever, but we can at least try. I believe in trying. If you don’t believe in trying, then why do you even try to to type? Why are you typing to me if everything is hopeless?

@TheIsz, yes, we do have it. The general public may not have it. But some people do have it. We have so much. There is secret technologies out there. More is coming. More is already here. It is worth it. There is hope over dope.

I’m not saying there isn’t hope.
I’m saying don’t count your chickens before their hatched.
Don’t you think human civilization has lost technology before?
What do you think the legend of Atlantis is about?

2 Likes

@TheIsz, I know about Atlantis and we get things back from way back then and beyond and we try to get things back and learn from the past and look at it all and the same can be said about us from the future.

If feelings made truth, Santa Claus would be real.

4 Likes

Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy.

Partly Fake News

@Rob_Roy, that article appears to be fake news as it goes on to say how CDs don’t last forever.

Fake News

Not really fake fake news, but possibly just a little bit. It linked to an NPR article that made generalities without going into detail. They linked to an article about backing up your files, which were the better out of these three articles and that is good.

Not Fake News

So, these three articles are not really fake news. I was trying to say that they appear a little bit like fake news. In other words, they appear to be incomplete, not the whole story.

Scratches

The biggest issue I had with DVDs and CDs have been scratches. So, I would keep them as a backup, but I would also copy my videos from DVD to HDD, to the Internet. I also try to keep the original VHS (VCR) video tapes and audio cassette tapes just in case in a pile. I try to keep a log, a journal, with an outline of what I recorded, which tapes to which DVDs.

Wearing Down DVDs

You may run into problems if you try to play a DVD again and again, especially, again, if they get scratches. So, yes, they may not last forever. They can fail. So, have backups.

Centralized Clouds

At the same time, don’t only back up files on one cloud that is possibly too centralized. That third article emphasize on backup programs.

Manual Backups

I manually copy and paste files, drag and drop, folders, files, directories, from my computer and into an external 4 TB HDD and sometimes other drives. I am not using automatic backup programs. People can use those programs as it makes it easier for them.

Copy Paste Backups

I am a nerd and I prefer copy and paste. I could be wrong and making a big mistake but I tend not to trust some programs, not to say that all programs are created equal.

Cloud Copy

That 3rd article mentioned Google Drive and a few other cloud providers.

Backup Heaven

So, back up your files in different places, online, offline, on different things, etc. Good advice for sure.

I don’t know about it being “fake news.” I’ve had old CD-Rs that no longer read correctly over time. I’ve also noticed the scratching that you’ve reported as well as prolonged exposure to the sun (on the data side). Maybe I’ve just bought cheap CD-Rs in the past.

1 Like

It is fake news if it does not explain how CDs can fall apart, specifically. It references possible problems without getting technical with explanations to the root of those issues. It simply stated some generalities of things I thought everybody already knew. I could have written a better article than that. I think I already have.

The problem with digital media is it is rendered useless if the original or compatible hardware is lost.

The only media I have successfully recovered data from over a long period of time (from the 1970’s/80’s) is soft-sectored floppy disks from my old Apple ][. They continue to work to this day. I keep the disk drives in good working order and store them in a low oxygen environment.

Every other medium from tape drives, to CD to higher density disks have all failed. Not all, and I have many that still read fine, but ALL of my old apple floppy’s still read. I suspect it has to do with the magnetic site size. They are HUGE on those disks, and alignment is even more of a problem with higher magnetic densities.

I just had a magnetic bubble memory device fail on me because I failed to power it up over an 8 year period. :frowning: It had stored data from 1986 on it.

In addition to those, a disk that is copied to and then left to sit has also been very successful. I just booted up a 100Mb SCSI Disk from 1990 that worked after I gave it a whack to the side. I will lube it up proper or replace the current driver for the main spindle. Not sure if the bearings are accessible but they may. I would imagine lubrication would be similar to a turbo pump.

I have some old MFM disks, but the last machine I had with that type of controlled died. (Old 8088 XT)

All removable media has the problem of entropy on the R/W device. I had one Apple ][ floppy that drifted out of alignment and the disk wasn’t the problem. It was the drive.

FYI: never leave CD’s in direct sunlight. That destroys the medium.

I would imagine solid-state disks that are written to once, then left alone will last some time, but susceptible to possible bit flips over time if exposed to large electromagnetic fields. But maybe not. Only true time will tell. MBTF analysis be damned.

Now I have microfiche from the 1980’s, (Bell Technical Systems Manuals) that still read to this day on my briefcase sized fiche reader. ;^) Anyone want to start up an old 1ESS switching system?

But, the best archival method (other than chiseled stone or clay tablets) is low-acid paper printed page. You should have a nice little paper library in waterproof containers of the information needed to secure clean water and a food source, produce tools, garden/animal husbandry, medical information, power and/or make batteries. Then you can eventually boot up your laptop to read the other disks (hopefully) as you reboot civilization. I still think there is value in the digital media for the density. Unfortunately, books require much infrastructure to maintain and protect, but I maintain a library none-the-less.

Regards,

VRFluxx

1 Like

You’re forgetting a 12-inch gold-plated copper disk like on Voyager.

3 Likes