McDonald’s Buys AI Company to Automate Drive-Thru Ordering

4 Likes

#FightFor20 c’mon…

3 Likes

Robots don’t ask for raises, benefits, or retirement. :thinking:

6 Likes

They’ll get taxed though. All these AI & Robots taking jobs. Uncle Sam needs that cash flow. These companies using 'em will have to pay.

Where can I buy my robots?

2 Likes

Corporations will indeed pay to play, it’s just a way to remove certain expenses and liabilities related to human employees. Robot employees would mean that some costs would be completely removed from the equation.

This doesn’t affect the income from sales taxes, which theoretically, improved productivity and efficiency and reduced costs SHOULD equate to increased volume/sales. The customers pay sales tax costs, not the company.

2 Likes

Benefits.

Basic salary and employment taxes are a minimum- in most cases you will need to provide some benefits. Typical benefits for a $50,000 salaried employee include life insurance ($150) and health coverage ($2,000-$3,000 for single persons; $6,000-$7,2000 for families - http://www.ahrq.gov). Other benefits could include long-term disability insurance ($250), dental plans ($240-$650), dependent care assistance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plans etc. These involve actual payment of benefits by the employer. There are also “self funded” plans where the employer contribution is the administrative costs- e.g. 401(k) savings plans where a portion of the employee’s salary is withheld. Vacation is another cost but is subsumed in the basic salary.

The costs to this point (basic salary, employment taxes and benefits) are typically in the 1.25 to 1.4 times base salary range- e.g. the cost range for a $50,000/year employee might $62,500 to $70,000.

https://web.mit.edu/e-club/hadzima/how-much-does-an-employee-cost.html

At $15.00 per hour, 40 hours per week, equals approximately $30,000 per year. So then that means based on the article and my bad math skills, a burger-flipper would cost the company about $45,000 per year. Close enough numbers to work with.

Now if I have a robot that can do the job of at least 2 employees, those two humans would cost me around $90,000 per year, right? What if I paid, say $200,000 for the robot? I can depreciate that bot as equipment, and my cost for the equipment is still 200k five years down the road.

In theory, equipment maintenance would be far less than the initial cost. One maintenance person could manage several robots to fix them when “sick”. The downtime related to a human breakdown might be one day or more, while a robot usually can be repaired the same day or less. That REALLY adds up over time.

Those employees will have cost you over those five years 90k x 5 equals what? $450,000 and counting, no added expenses related to humans being humans. This doesn’t account for the increase in production and sales.

1 Like

Meijer Distribution Center in Lansing, Michigan is moving towards more Robots on the docks.

From a pure business stand point, it makes total sense when it comes to large volume.

Automation in logistics is a no-brain’er.

2 Likes

Well, people always whine about not being able to understand the cashier through that crappy speaker. So I can understand this. Plus, beats this:

1 Like

Back into the pile…

1 Like

They derp a der! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They also don’t need a 20 minute break, they can run 24/7, there’s no pension, they don’t talk back…

2 Likes

Yeah RIIIIIGHT, every pretense is faulty on this article, where do we start? Throw the article away and write it yourself. McDonalds hires a new church to run it Artificial Intelligence. Jesus Christ is Lord.

3 Likes

3 Likes
1 Like

3 Likes

Welp, they did introduce McDelivery in this area at least…

1 Like

Maybe they will finally get my order right! :rofl:

2 Likes