Survival - Medicinal Plants

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/black-cumin-seed-oil/

5 Likes

According to Tom Brown Jr. Survivalist teachings. The Cattail is one of the most diverse nature resources in wilderness. Having high amounts of nutrition values and little known source of local anesthetic. Substance located near roots of the freshly harvested plants.

Merriam-Webster › dictionary › cattail
Web results
Cattail | Definition of Cattail by Merriam-Webster
Definition of cattail. : any of a genus (Typha of the family Typhaceae, the cattail family) of tall reedy marsh plants with brown furry fruiting spikes especially : a plant (Typha latifolia) with long flat leaves used especially for making mats and chair seats

Tom Brown Jr. is an American naturalist, tracker, survivalist, and author from New Jersey, where he runs the Tom Brown Jr. Tracker School. In his books, Brown claims that, from the age of seven, he and his childhood friend Rick were trained in tracking and wilderness survival by Rick’s grandfather, “Stalking Wolf”. Wikipedia

3 Likes

Ephedra viridis, a species found in the American southwest, is known as Mormon tea, Brigham’s tea, Squaw tea, Whorehouse tea and Cowboy tea. … Used in quantities of 8 milligrams of total alkaloids or less, ephedra is a highly beneficial decongestant and is reliable for relieving congestion due to seasonal allergies.

Fox News › health › ephedra-a-beneficial-and-controversial-herb

Ephedra: A beneficial and controversial herb | Fox New

s

Ephedra viridis, a species found in the American southwest, is known as Mormon tea, Brigham’s tea, Squaw tea, Whorehouse tea and Cowboy tea. This species also contains the alkaloids ephedra, pseudoephedrine and related compounds, though in lower concentration than the Asian species. Used traditionally by Paiute, Kawaiisu and other native tribal groups, the plant received its name ‘Mormon tea’ due to its use as a stimulant beverage by people of the Mormon faith.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/ephedra-a-beneficial-and-controversial-her

b

3 Likes

Juniper: Of the roughly 40 species of juniper,

“a small number are poisonous”

“majority have bitter fruits”

"Only a few yield edible berries (actually modified cones)

“only one is routinely used for flavoring”

The flavoring juniper, best known for its contribution to gin, is common juniper, Juniperus communis.Mar 20, 2008

External useage

Some people apply juniper directly to the skin for wounds and for pain in joints and muscles.

The essential oil of juniper is inhaled to treat bronchitis and numb pain

The various species of juniper grow as shrubs and small trees throughout North America as well as the Middle East. The seed cones look like berries and most are edible. All of the species of juniper grow berries but some are considered just too bitter to eat. Many also have medicinal properties.Sep 19, 2010

2 Likes

I have a book of edible wildlife plants. It does talk about juniper they look like small blueberries.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m VERY allergic to poison ivy and this plant is my best friend!

3 Likes

I’m allergic to it too. Thanks for sharing that. I did not know there was such a plant. I will look into that. @Rob_Roy

1 Like

The ONLY thing that works for me. Also, you can find Jewelweed Soap at farmers markets.

3 Likes

How do you get aspirin from willow bark?

If you ever find yourself lost in the woods and in need of pain relief, then a willow tree , a fire, and some water may be the answer. Willow bark contains salicylic acid, which is the active ingredient in aspirin . If you can find a willow tree , then you can use its bark to make yourself a cup of willow bark tea.

2 Likes

http://www.northdaysimage.ca/carnivora.html

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Yucca By: Amy Grant

Yuca vs Yucca -

Yuca, or cassava, is a historically important global food source utilized for its carbohydrate rich (30% starch) nutrients,

Yucca and yuca are not botanically related both are used as a food source.

The two get confused due to that missing “C,” but yuca is the plant you may have tried in trendy Latin bistros.

Yucca was used as a food source, although not so much for its root, but more for its blossoms and the resultant sweet fruit which is high in carbohydrates

Fruit is the most desired part of the plant when utilizing the yucca plant as a food source. Edible yucca fruit only comes from the thick-leaf varieties of yucca. It is about 4 inches long and is usually roasted or baked engendering a sweet, molasses or fig-like flavor.

More common yucca uses stem from the employment of the tough leaves as fiber sources for weaving, while the central stalk and sometimes the roots can be made into a strong soap

Almost all Yucca plants can be used as food.

The stems, leaf bases, flowers, emerging stalks as well as the fruit of most types of yucca are edible.

The stems or trunks of yucca store carbohydrates in chemicals called saponins, which are toxic, not to mention taste of soap. To render them edible, the saponins need to be broken down by baking or boiling.

2 Likes

1 Like

There is a website all about stuff like this.

Link: https://Smoke.io

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Wild mushrooms like Reishi/Ganoderma family boost immunity and can heal u

2 Likes